Summer Cilantro Zucchini Pasta is a light, fresh and deliciously vegan. Zucchini pasta is a refreshing gluten free alternative to regular pasta and the tangy avocado sauce is creamy without any dairy. The Spicy Lime Pumpkin Seeds add a protein crunch with a nice kick. This is the perfect paleo meal to enjoy on a balmy summer night or bring to a potluck.
Zucchini, also known as summer squash, is an excellent source of manganese which facilitates carbohydrate and protein metabolism. It is also very high in vitamin C which has antihistamine properties that can help reduce seasonal allergy symptoms. Vitamin C is also an antioxidant that is responsible for protecting good cholesterol and promoting heart health. Zucchini contains a variety of minerals, including calcium, magnesium and phosphorus, that build and maintain healthy bones.
To see the health benefits of limes check out my Mojito Ice Tea Post.
Summer Cilantro Zucchini Pasta is really easy to make, the first thing you have to do is make the Spicy Lime Pumpkin Seeds. These taste amazing on their own and I love the crunchiness and heat they add to the pasta. If you want to keep the recipe raw, you can dehydrate the seeds or, if you don’t have a dehydrator, you can toast them in the oven at 300F.
To make Spicy Lime Pumpkin Seed combine the lime juice, lime zest, jalapeno pepper, salt, pepper and coconut oil in a food processor and blend until smooth.
Then toss the seeds in the coating.
Spread the Spicy Lime Pumpkin Seeds evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 25min, or until they are golden brown, then set aside to cool.
While the pumpkin seeds are cooking, start preparing the zucchini pasta and dicing the red pepper.
If you have a spiralizer you can use that to make the zucchini pasta. Spiralizers are really fun to use and you would be surprised how much pasta one zucchini yields!
Otherwise, you can grate the zucchinis or finely cut them into noodles shaped pieces.
The sauce for this zucchini pasta is very similar to guacamole; it contains avocado, lime, garlic, salt cilantro, coconut oil and pepper.
Place the sauce ingredients in a food processor and process until creamy and smooth.
To assemble the dish, massage the sauce into the zucchini pasta and red peppers. I like to get messy and do this with my hands because its fun and it really is the best way to mix everything up.
Serve each plate, top with a sprinkle of Spicy Lime Pumpkin Seeds and enjoy!
Summer Cilantro Zucchini Pasta
Prep time: 20min
Cook time: 25min
Serving size: 2 big servings or 4 sides
- 2 zucchinis, spiralized, grated or cut into noodles
- 1 red pepper, diced
For the sauce
- 1 medium avocado, pitted and roughly diced
- Juice of one lime
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup cilantro
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Pepper to taste
Spicy Lime Pumpkin Seeds
- Juice of ½ lime
- Zest of ½ lime
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and roughly diced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- Pre heat the oven to 300F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor add the pumpkin seed coating (lime juice, lime zest, jalapeno pepper, salt, pepper and coconut oil) – and blend until smooth.
- In a small bowl toss the pumpkin seed in the coating and spread evenly on the baking sheet. Bake for 25min, stirring every 5min.
- Start preparing the zucchini noodles and red pepper and place in a large bowl.
- Place the sauce ingredients (avocado, lime, garlic, salt cilantro, coconut oil and pepper) in the same blender you used to make the nut coating and blend until creamy.
- Massage the sauce into the zucchini pasta, top with the pumpkin seeds and serve.
Have you every tried zucchini pasta? Share you favorite zucchini pasta recipe in the comments section!
Check out this recipe featured in Ricki Heller’s Wellness Weekend!