Raw Black Forest Brownies are a decadent chocolate cherry dessert that are gluten free, vegan, paleo and raw. They are naturally sweetened with dates and cherries which creates a smooth and rich brownie filled with crunchy almonds and chewy cherries for added texture. Raw Black Forest Brownies only contain 6 ingredients and they are really easy to make.
Cherries are a delicious fruit that contain flavonoid and carotenoid phytonutrients that have very strong anti-inflammatory properties. They contain concentrated amounts of polyphenol which is a group of nutrients that have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anticancer health benefits. A diet high in polyphenol has been proven to reduce the risk of heart diseases, degenerative diseases of the nervous system, and several types of cancer. Cherries actually help cure migraines and relieve the pain from arthritis and gout. The antioxidants found in cherries help prevent and repair the damage done by free radicals, keeping you looking young.
First gather the six ingredients – dried cherries, walnuts, cacao, salt, dates and almonds.
Start by soaking 1 cup of cherries in water for an hour, this helps soften them so they are easier to process into a smooth brownie batter. After the cherries are soaked, add 2 cups of nuts to your food processor and process into a granular flour. I like to use walnuts because they really complement the chocolate and cherry flavor.
Add 1 cup of cacao and 1/4 tsp of salt to the food processor and process until smooth.
While the food processor is running slowly add 1 cup of soaked cherries and 1/2 cup of dates, roughly 4. Once the Raw Black Forest Brownie batter is smooth, fold in 1/2 cup of cherries and 1/2 cup of raw chopped almonds. Press the batter into lined 8×8 brownie pan and transfer into the freezer for 2 hours to set the brownies.
Once the Raw Black Forest Brownies have set, remove them from the pan and cut into 9 or 12 brownies. Store in the freezer or in the fridge if you are serving them the same day.
Raw Black Forest Brownies
Soaking time: 1 hour
Prep time: 10 min
Chill time: 2 hours
- 1.5 cups of dried cherries
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dates (roughly 4)
- 1/2 almonds, chopped
- Soak 1 cup of cherries in water for an hour.
- Place 2 cups of walnuts in a food processor and process into a granular flour.
- Add 1 cup of cacao powder and 1/4 tsp of salt to the food processor and process until smooth.
- While the food processor is running, slowly add 1 cup of soaked cherries and 1/2 cup of dates and process until smooth.
- Fold in 1/2 cup of cherries and 1/2 cup of raw chopped almonds.
- Press the brownie batter into lined 8×8 brownie pan and freeze for 2 hours to set the brownies.
- Remove from the freezer and cut into 8-12 Raw Black Forest Brownies and serve.
What is your favorite brownie recipe? Leave a comment with tricks, tips and feel free to add the link to your recipe!