Mojito Ice Tea is the perfect summer time drink because it’s refreshing and has almost no calories so you don’t compromise your bikini body! The classic minty lime combination with a hint of sweetness is a perfect way to quench your thirst and cool you down on a hot day. Mojito Ice Tea is really easy to make because it only has 4 ingredients, but you have to plan ahead a little to give the mint tea time to cool.
Mint is a soothing herb that promotes digestion and soothes the stomach when it is upset. It is also a natural diuretic and has been used to relieve Irritable Bowel Syndrome and colitis. The refreshing aroma of mint helps ease feelings of nausea and relieves headaches.
Limes are rich in antioxidants and vitamin C which neutralize free radicals that can cause cellular damage and cancer. Vitamin C found in limes has the ability to breakdown histamines which alleviates seasonal allergy and asthma symptoms. Limes also have an antibiotic effect; in fact, lime juice was used in West African villages to protect against cholera.
Mojito Ice Tea Directions
First gather your ingredients – two mint tea bags, 2 limes, liquid stevia and a bunch of fresh mint. I love using liquid stevia in this recipe because it is a zero calorie natural sweetener. To learn more about stevia check out my Raw Lemon Cheesecake post or my Vanilla Almond Protein Truffles post.
Boil 7 cups of water and steep the mint tea bags in the water for at least 10min. Once the tea is steeped, remove the tea bags and let it cool and come to room temperature on the counter for roughly 2 hours. Once the tea has cooled, move it into the fridge to chill for another two hours or overnight.
While the tea is cooling slice half a lime into rounds and set aside for garnish. Juice the remaining one and a half limes into a large pitcher. Add the chilled tea along with one cup of very cold water and stevia to taste. Add the stevia, a couple drops at a time, until you reach your desired sweetness. Once you are happy with the taste, return the Mojito Ice Tea to the fridge for a final 2 hours of chilling.
When you are ready to serve the Mojito Ice Tea, add ice cubes, lime slices and springs of mint to each glass and serve.
Mojito Ice Tea Recipe
Prep time: 5min
Inactive prep time: 6 hours
Serving size: 8 cups
- Two mint tea bags
- 8 cups of water
- 2 limes
- 10 drops liquid stevia *to taste
- Bunch of mint
- Ice cubes
- Boil 7 cups of water and steep 2 bags of mint tea in the hot water. This can be done in a pot on the stove or with a kettle and a large tea pot.
- Remove tea bags after 10min and let the tea cool on the counter for 2 hours.
- Once the tea as cooled, move it to the fridge for another 2 hours.
- Slice round from ½ a lime and set aside to use as a garnish. Juice 1½ limes and pour the juice into a large pitcher.
- Add one cup of very cold water in to a large pitcher along with the stevia and chilled tea and stir until mixed. Adjust the sweetness as desired by adding additional drops of stevia one at a time.
- Place the pitcher in the fridge for a final 2 hours to chill.
- Add ice cubes and a slice lime and a sprig of mint to each glass before serving.