Curry Kale Quinoa Salad is a vibrant meal bursting with exciting flavors. The kale in this salad is massaged with Creamy Curry Dressing that gets its curry flavor from turmeric and cumin. The marinated onions and sundried tomatoes add a tangy element that is offset by sweet raisins and carrots. The celery, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds add a satisfying crunch and the optional goat’s cheese adds a luxurious creaminess. Curry Kale Quinoa Salad is extremely filling and is a great dish to bring to a party.
To learn about all the kale’s amazing cancer fighting super powers check out my Crispy Chickpea Kale Salad post! If you know why protein packed quinoa is so amazing check out my Breakfast Quinoa post.
Turmeric is a bright orange root that has peppery, warm and bitter flavors. It is best known for its extraordinary anti-inflammatory properties and has been used in Chinese and Indian medicine for centuries. The bright yellow/orange pigment of turmeric called curcumin has been shown to be comparable to potent drugs such as hydrocortisone and over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs. It is effective in the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s, Colitis), rheumatoid arthritis and cystic fibrosis due to its antioxidant concentrations and anti-inflammatory properties. It also plays an important role in cancer prevention and studies have determined that it inhibits cancer cell growth. Finally, research has shown that turmeric can boost liver detox and protect against cardiovascular disease.
For step by step directions on how to make Curry Kale Quinoa Salad check out the video below!
Curry Kale Quinoa Salad
Prep time: 20min
Inactive prep time: 15min
Serving size: 6 mains
- 1 cup quinoa
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp balsamic Vinegar
- 1 bunch of kale, washed, dried, chopped with stems removed
- 3 carrots, grated
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
- 1 cup goat feta cheese, crumbled or cubed *optional
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
Creamy Curry Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp white pepper, or to taste
- Place quinoa in a pot and add 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for 15min, then set aside to cool.
- Place the red onions in the balsamic vinegar and toss to coat. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 15min. Discard any remaining liquid.
- Mix all dressing ingredients together and whisk or process in a food processor until mixed.
- Place the kale in a large bowl and massage with the dressing. Top with the cooled quinoa, carrots, celery, raisins, sundried tomatoes, goat feta, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds and enjoy.
Leave a comment letting me know what your favorite curry blend is and how you like to use it!
Turmeric and cumin are my favorite curry ingredients so sometimes I like to use them on their own. I also have a yummy curry spice blend like to use as well.