Sunshine Carrot Soup is a fresh and creamy vegan soup that brings sunshine into the long winter days. Coconut milk gives this soup an indulgent silky texture, orange juice adds a nice tang and fresh ginger adds some spice. I played around with the spices by adding curry, caraway or allspice, but I like the simplicity of the flavors that really let the carrots shine. Sunshine Carrot Soup is really easy to make with eight ingredients, it is dairy free, gluten free, vegan and paleo.
Carrots are really the star of this post, to learn more about their antioxidant powers check out my Carrot Cake Cupcakes Recipe.
Orange juice gives this recipe a little tang and sweetness that really complements the carrots. I juiced three oranges for this recipe to make roughly 1.5 cups of juice. I recommend using fresh orange juice rather than store bought juice because store bought juice contains preservatives. Oranges are an excellent source of vitamin C which helps protect cells from free radical damage thus lowering your risk of cancer. Vitamin C also improves iron absorption, supports the immune system and regenerates vitamin E supplies. The flavonoids in oranges, which are the compounds responsible for their vibrant color, have anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor and blood clot-inhibiting properties.
Sunshine Carrot Soup is super simple to make with only eight ingredients, you just have to spend a little bit of time peeling carrots.
To get cooking heat coconut oil over medium-low heat in a large pot. Add the diced onions and cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, then add the garlic. Continue cooking for 5 minutes or until onions are soft and brown.
Next add the diced carrots, coconut milk, orange juice and 3 cups of vegetable stock. If you want to use coconut cream as a garnish, reserve some of the cream that solidifies at the top of the can, otherwise pour the entire can into the soup. Bring the carrot soup to boil over high heat then reduce to low, cover and simmer until carrots are very soft. This takes roughly 30 to 45 minutes.
Finally add the ginger and puree with an immersion blender or transfer into a food processor and puree in batches. I like to add the ginger just before pureeing the carrot soup so it retains its flavor and nutrients. If you are using food processor, return the carrot soup puree to the pot, season with salt and pepper and heat until hot. If the soup is too thick, feel free to additional stock. Ladle the soup into four bowls, top with a dollop of coconut cream and enjoy.
Sunshine Carrot Soup
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 40-55 min
Serving size: 4
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1.5 cups orange juice (roughly 3 oranges)
- 1.5 cups coconut milk (1 can)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tsp finely minced ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook stirring occasionally for 5 min. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 5 min or until onions are soft and brown.
- Add carrots, coconut milk, orange juice and vegetable stock.
- Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until carrots are very soft, roughly 30 to 45 min.
- Add the ginger and puree with an immersion blender or transfer in to a food processor and puree until smooth in batches.
- Return the puree to the pot, season with salt and pepper and heat until hot. If the soup is too thick, add additional stock.
What is you favorite way to use oranges in soup? If you are a fan of Carrot Soup please feel free to share this recipe!