Vegan Carrot Molasses Muffins are super moist and taste like gingerbread. They are made with nutty spelt flour, sweetened with iron rich blackstrap molasses and laced with walnuts and ginger. The fiber packed carrots keep the muffins super moist and they are an excellent way to use up carrot pulp leftover from juicing. Vegan carrot molasses muffins make a satisfying make-ahead breakfast and are an excelled health promoting addition to a brunch spread.
Molasses is created by boiling the sugar out of beet or cane juice. There are many types of molasses depending on how much sugar is extracted. Blackstrap molasses is created after the third stage of boiling when most of the sucrose has crystallized leaving behind sticky dark syrup with very little sugar content. Blackstrap molasses has a robust and bittersweet flavor which is very different from Fancy Molasses.
Blackstrap molasses gives vegan carrot muffins a gingerbread flavor and it is an excellent sweetener because it contains an abundance of health promoting minerals. It is rich in iron which transports oxygen from the lungs to all cells in the body and it plays a key role in energy production and metabolism. Blackstrap molasses also contains a significant amount of calcium which, in addition to building and maintaining strong bones and teeth, removes toxins from the colon reducing the risk of colon cancer. Calcium is also involved in nerve transmissions to and from the brain and can help prevent migraines. Blackstrap molasses is also an excellent source of energy producing manganese and free radical eliminating copper.
Vegan Carrot Molasses Muffins are super easy to make. Check out this video to learn how you can whip them up for your next gingerbread breakfast.
Vegan Carrot Molasses Muffins Video
Vegan Carrot Molasses Muffins Recipe
Prep time: 15 min
Inactive prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 30 min
Serving size: 12 medium muffins
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1¼ cup walnuts, ground
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan rock salt
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 Tbsp ground chia seeds, 6 Tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup carrot pulp or grated carrots
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with liners or grease with coconut oil.
- Grind chia seeds and add water. Mix and set aside to gel for 5 minutes.
- Mix spelt flour, ground walnuts, baking soda, salt and ginger together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix blackstrap molasses, melted coconut oil, almond milk, chia eggs and vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Fold in the carrot pulp until just mixed.
- Spoon the vegan carrot molasses muffins mixture into the muffin tin until ¾ full and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.