Quinoa for breakfast?!?! Why not! If you add the right ingredients quinoa is a great alternative to your morning oats. Breakfast Quinoa is a wonderful vegan and gluten free breakfast that will keep you feeling full for hours. Quinoa, seeds and nuts are packed with protein which will keep you going until lunch time with no snacks needed. Quinoa is also a source of nine essentials amino acids and dietary iron.
If you would like to enjoy Breakfast Quinoa all week; prepare everything up to step 2 and store it in the fridge in an airtight container. In the morning, reheat your desired serving and add the toppings of your choice. You can really play around with the topping by adding your favorite nuts, seeds and fruit.
First gather all of the delicious protein packed ingredients.
Now place the 2 cups almond milk, ¼ Tbsp cinnamon, ½ tsp vanilla and a pinch of cloves, nutmeg and ginger in a pot. Mix the ingredients so all the spices are blended into the milk, then add 1 cup of uncooked quinoa.
Bring everything to a boil, cover and simmer. Make sure you lower the heat because if you cover the pot while the heat is high you will be stuck with a cinnamon almond milk mess all over the stove. Trust me, I speak from experience! After 10 minutes, remove the pot from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes. Now mix in ½ cup dried cranberries and maple syrup to taste.
Spoon the quinoa mixture into bowls and top with chopped walnuts or almonds, sunflower seeds, blueberries, chia seeds and a drizzle of coconut milk.
Prep time: 5min
Cook time: 15min
Serving size: 2 large servings
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/4 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Pinch ground cloves
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground ginger
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- ½ cup dried cranberries, or any dried fruit
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts or almonds, chopped
- 2 Tbsp raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, or any fresh fruit
- 2 Tbsp cup chia seeds
- Coconut milk for drizzling
- Mix almond milk, cinnamon, vanilla, cloves, nutmeg and ginger in a pot then add the quinoa. Bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat to simmer for 10min. Remove from heat and let sit for 5min.
- Sir in the dried cranberries and maple syrup and adjust sweetness to taste.
- Spoon the quinoa into bowls and top each serving with walnuts or almonds, sunflower seeds, blueberries, chia seeds and a drizzle of coconut milk and enjoy!